After completing the first step of floor installation, we outlined the 3 separate plywood panels (harvested from sustainable sources with no added formaldehyde adhesive) using the same paper templates we traced on the minicell foam, and used a jigsaw to cut the pieces to fit the floor like puzzle pieces. It took us a few tries to get it as close to the walls and wheel wells as possible. We did offset the plywood panels a bit so that the breaks would be in a different position than the minicell foam, and also to align it better with the factory bolt locations.
Once fitted, we lifted up the panels one at a time and placed a permanent marker tip in the factory bolt holes facing up so that we could accurately mark the proper spot for holes. This was done by slowly lowering the panels down onto the marker and repeating that step for the rest of the bolt holes. We drilled holes into the panels, using a 3/8″ drill bit which was just slightly bigger than the M8 1.25 pitch 70mm bolts that we were using to bolt the panels down. After making sure the holes lined up, we used a 3/4 Countersink drill bit to create flush dips for the bolts to sit in.
After the plywood panels were bolted down, we filled the corner gaps with Great Stuff insulating foam. It took an entire can to fill the floor spaces. The stuff can get really messy and the nozzles often break or malfunction, so don’t get frustrated, take your time and wear gloves because this stuff doesn’t come off. After the foam dried and hardened,we trimmed the excess foam so that it would sit flush to the floor. We sanded the plywood to make sure it was clean, and then dusted and vacuumed it in preparation for the adhesive layer.
We opted to use the Roberts 2310 adhesive, because of its pressure sensitive and resealable properties, in case we ever had to replace the floor. We began laying down the adhesive using a trowel with 1/16″ notches to spread an even layer across the first panel. Once spread evenly across the floor we waited around 40-50 min for a resealable application(less time for a more permanent seal) and began rolling out the vinyl flooring.
Initially we wanted to install bamboo flooring, but the cost was too high for us, so we opted to use a standard vinyl floor that was low cost, waterproof and fairly damage resistant. We purchased a 12ft by 6ft roll of vinyl and it covered the entire floor with enough excess to wrap around the edges. We used a rolling pin to get rid of any bubbles underneath the vinyl and once the adhesive dried, we used a knife to trim around the walls and wheel wells leaving excess at the edges near the doors for a fold over. We then laid down caulk around all of the edges to create a waterproof seal.
Ta da! The floor is finally finished. It really was a process and a challenging learning curve and a lot of pre-planning since it was our first time installing insulated floors, but we are happy with the end result. Of course Kyuri had to test it out with a few yoga moves before we start filling the space with furniture!